Sabbatical leave provides full-time tenured faculty an opportunity for professional
growth and is encouraged by the College.
Faculty Contract (See section 508)
- The primary purpose of a Sabbatical Leave option is to offer professional renewal
opportunities for tenured faculty such that the quality of the individual's future
contribution to learning at Lower Columbia College is enhanced.
- A sabbatical should provide the individual a significant opportunity for intellectual
achievement and growth through study, research, writing, creative work, and travel
so that teaching and professional effectiveness may be enhanced, scholarly usefulness
increased, and the institution's academic and service programs and processes strengthened.
- Sabbatical leaves are not to be understood as deferred compensation.
- Sabbatical leave may be granted, upon application, for study, research, writing, field
observations or other suitable purposes.
- Opportunities for additional training, for improving skills and for maintaining currency
in the field are understood to be included as a purpose of sabbatical leave.
- General criteria for award will include exceptional service to the college, seniority,
whether the sabbatical proposal provides for individual renewal and potential value
and benefit to the College, and the ability of the affected college department or
division to reallocate work during the proposed sabbatical.
- The current contract between LCCFA and the District details the philosophy, eligibility,
application format and process, compensation, and expectations upon completion of
sabbatical. There is no substitute for carefully reading all sections in the contract
that relate to Sabbatical.
- Any eligible faculty who has an interest in seeking a sabbatical would be well advised
to seek out faculty members who have most currently completed a sabbatical to hear
how others have prepared for their sabbatical leave.